Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Don't Count Me Out

People sometimes make all kinds of assumptions. Many times, people assume that because I'm an attorney I make lots of money, drive a fancy car, and live in a posh neighborhood. Well, I do drive a BMW (it's an '88, with a cracked dash, but it's still pretty fancy to me). I actually live in one of the more depressed areas of East Knoxville, and most of the cases I take are cases no one else wants: abuse and neglect; delinquent and unruly children; domestic disputes. Why do I drive an old car, and take these kinds of cases, and live where I live? Let's just call it preservation. I see something of value that needs to be preserved.

'Location, location, location.' is said to be the number one rule in real estate. Do you know what happens when people lose interest or pride in an area or no longer see real value in it? It becomes dilapidated. The same is true of cars, buildings, agendas, and even people. As I look around District 6 I see a lot of dilapidation, but I choose to live here because I see something worth preserving. Someone has to be willing to deal with the abused and neglected, the delinquent and the unruly, and the domestic disputes, even if it means trading in the wingtip shoes for a pair of well-worn sneakers. Someone has to be willing to look past the sometimes shabby exterior and see the real value in our location and in the people who make up our location. I'm willing. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment